Slaughter House Arches, Monmouth

Monmouth Slaughter House Arches is a grade 2* listed structure situated under Priory Street Monmouth. The structure has seen much neglected over the years and has now been brought to the front of Monmouthshire Council’s heritage attention.

In 1834  a prolific Monmouth architect George Vaughan Maddox won a competition to design a scheme to relieve church street of traffic, site a new market hall and slaughterhouses. He came up with the innovative idea of a viaduct alongside the river Monnow to take a new market hall and road (now Priory Street). With the slaughterhouses beneath, fresh meat was easily transported straight up to the markets above and waste could be tossed into the river below.

Much of this magnificent crescent shaped building remains and consists of 24 Red sand stone arches and slaughter houses beneath and a bath stone market hall (now Monmouth museum) above.

Jones and Fraser were enlisted with the task of replacing degraded Forest of Dean sandstone copings at the top of these 40 foot arches as well as a facade repair to an Old Red Devonian Sandstone facade repair and extensive shadow struck lime pointing. The lunette windows above the arches also got attention with new stooled window sills being replaced where necessary. The lunette frames were restored with internal bars being removed, shot blasted, painted and re-set.

Work here is ongoing and Jones and Fraser are currently repairing and remaking large oak double doors that adorn this great structure.



Comments are closed.